Sunday, October 4, 2009

TALK WITH RICK AND BRIAN

For the Love of Jazz

Conversations with Rick Braun & Brian Bromberg

-by Elisabeth Klingler

Brian Red Shirt lo res.jpg

Rick Braun.jpg

Headlines screaming across the nation about arts funding being slashed nationwide come as no surprise and the Tucson Jazz Society has not remained unscathed.

But the story that grabbed my attention was that two of the music industry’s biggest international jazz stars, Rick Braun and Brian Bromberg, were stepping up to donate their time to bridge the gap for TJS. Now that’s what I call “breaking news!”

This “inquiring mind” had to know what inspired them to take time out of their very busy schedule to support the arts here in the Old Pueblo.

“It’s so much fun to come out there for New Year’s. It’s turned into an ongoing, amazing opportunity. I know the Tucson Jazz Society is trying to get past a few bumps. Anything to keep it healthy,” said Braun from his home base in So Cal, adding:

“I’ve got a pretty good life. It feels good to give back… a little something to make it a better world.”

Bromberg echoed a similar sentiment. “I grew up in Tucson. Whatever success I have achieved in my career and life, I feel I owe a great deal to Tucson because of the music education I got there. Being a big fish in a small pond allowed me to do everything you could possibly do for an incredibly well rounded musical experience, including stepping around poop in the Rodeo Parade!”

They both expressed concern over the waning jazz presence in the media across the country, including the devastating loss of so many jazz radio stations, and the importance of jazz lovers to join in the effort to keep jazz alive.

Said Bromberg, “I believe in what they’re (Tucson Jazz Society) trying to do. They have been gracious to have me and believe in what I do. It’s the least I can do to support an organization trying to keep alive what I do for a living.”

Rick’s enthusiasm could not be missed; “We’re going to have a good time…it’s (Celebrity Jazz Benefit) going to be a big old party with Brian and some of the local musicians. I feel good about doing it.”

There is no question as to why these two musical giants “do it for the love.”

“We are all on this journey together and if we don’t help each other, the journey stops.” replied Bromberg.

And Rick Braun? “At the end of the day, that’s why we all do what we do and we are fortunate to be able to make a living doing something we love. Music is one of the things that gives me peace. To get out there and do something that keeps those things alive and well is important.”

As Rick says in the “What’s New” page on his website (rickbraun.com) - Just wanted to say to you guys: “THANKS for all the love!”

I couldn’t have said it better myself.


musicreview

No comments:

Post a Comment